SharePoint on-premises to Cloud
When transitioning your SharePoint sites to the cloud, the initial step involves clarifying your objectives. Define your migration goals and the criteria for success beforehand to focus on crucial details and facilitate critical decisions during the migration process. Commence with simple workloads like enabling OneDrive for Business or basic team sites to initiate the migration process without a full-scale investment. Implement a life-cycle management process for on-premises SharePoint environments to identify necessary and used content for migration. Transitioning content to Office 365 cloud services promoted better protection for company assets stored on employees' SharePoint sites, encouraging users to move their content out of shadow storage areas. Opt for straightforward and adaptable experiences during migration to Office 365, allowing flexibility for future platform advancements.
Benefits of Cloud Migration:
- Transformation from IT service runner to a business enabler, focusing on empowering businesses and employees to attain rapid solutions and business value.
- Encouragement for site and portal owners to use migration as a fresh start to build their SharePoint sites, aligned with their preferences and requirements.
- Increased employee adoption and usage of SharePoint services and personal storage after moving to Office 365, facilitating work flexibility on various devices.
- Simplified environments by consolidating multiple SharePoint farms into a single Office 365 tenancy, saving engineering effort and hosting costs.
- Implementation of a custom IT site management solution, AutoSites, to manage cloud sites efficiently by ensuring active site management and site owner presence.
- Enhanced security with SharePoint Online, improving data storage security and enabling significant security enhancements.
- Smooth transition of custom portals to the cloud, leveraging new cloud capabilities and services while retaining on-premises features.
- Cost reduction by retiring dedicated SharePoint farms while adding new capabilities and ensuring consistent publishing and improved accessibility.